Article 39 fights for the rights of children living in state and privately-run institutions, a population of around 80,000 in England. We use a variety of methods to promote and protect children’s rights, including:
- Awareness-raising – we run the rights4children website which gives accessible information about children’s rights generally and within specific institutional settings. Our monthly legal digest keeps busy people updated about developments in the law;
- Public policy advocacy – we try and influence laws and government policy so that children are better protected within institutional settings;
- Practice development – we have set up a national network of independent advocates to support them to give the best help to children and young people;
- Strategic litigation – we support and lead legal challenges when this is the best way of protecting children’s rights;
- Research – we make freedom of information requests and consult children and young people who live, or have lived, in institutional settings.
We are very lucky to be supported by some amazing funders. Read more about them here.