The End Child Imprisonment campaign is run by Article 39, the Centre for Crime and Justice Studies, Child Rights International Network (CRIN), Howard League for Penal Reform, INQUEST, Just for Kids Law, National Association for Youth Justice, Standing Committee for Youth Justice and several leading children’s rights and child justice campaigners. If you support our aims, and wish to be listed on this page, please sign up below.
OUR CAMPAIGN GOALS
- Press for the closure of England’s child prisons and raise awareness of the harms of child imprisonment.
- Propose a child welfare-based and human rights compliant secure model for the small number of children who cannot be safely looked after and supported in the community.
- Push for responsibility for detained children to be moved out of the government department that deals with adult imprisonment. At a local level, responsibility for the care and support of detained children must lie with children’s social care services.
- Seek changes to law and practice so that deprivation of liberty is an absolute measure of last resort, leading to substantially fewer children being detained.
- Remove punishment and deterrence as reasons for locking up children.
PLEASE ADD YOUR SUPPORT
Home page image: we are very grateful to the prison art charity the Koestler Trust for permission to use The Writing’s on the Wall, HM Prison and Young Offender Institution Cookham Wood.