Article 39 fights for the rights of children living in state and privately-run institutions, a population of around 80,000 in England. We use a variety of methods to promote and protect children’s rights, including:
- Awareness-raising – we run the rights4children website which gives accessible information about children’s rights generally and within specific institutional settings. Our monthly legal digest keeps busy people updated about developments in the law;
- Public policy advocacy – we seek to influence laws and government policy so that children are better protected within institutional settings;
- Practice development – we run a national network of independent advocates to support them to give the best help possible to children and young people;
- Strategic litigation – we support and lead legal challenges when this is the best way of protecting children’s rights;
- Research – we make freedom of information requests and consult children and young people who live, or have lived, in institutional settings.